Personal Checking Account in ME & NH
Yes, you can get the same checking account features big banks offer right here at your neighborhood bank.
Benefits of a Kennebunk Savings checking account begin right away
What kind of neighbor would we be if we didn’t do everything we could to make sure your checking account made your life easier? You’ll use it almost every day, and these helpful features and services ensure you get the security and convenience you expect:
- No ATM fees at Kennebunk Savings owned ATMs – *limits apply¹
- Instant-issue ATM/debit cards
- Free Kennebunk Savings Mastercard® Debit5
- Real-time account alerts
- Debit card controls
- Free online and mobile banking²
- Overdraft protection³
- Fraud alerts
Explore Two Checking
No monthly service charges and no minimum balance.
Interest Bearing Checking
Earn interest while you maintain a balance of $500⁴.
No monthly service charges and no minimum balance.
Interest Bearing Checking
Earn interest even while you maintain a balance of $500⁴.
- Free transactions at Kennebunk Savings ATMs for Interest-Bearing and Breakaway Checking accounts. Breakaway Checking account reimburses the first $10.00 in fees incurred at non-Kennebunk Savings ATMs per statement cycle, that’s up to $120.00 annually.
- Online and mobile banking terms and conditions will apply; Messaging and data rates may apply.
- An automatic transfer to a checking account from an eligible linked deposit account to cover overdrafts. To enroll, call Customer Care at 1-800-339-6573 or visit your local branch. Other terms and conditions may apply.
- A Service Charge of $7.00 will be imposed every monthly statement cycle if the balance in the account falls below $500.00 any day of the month.
Today's Interest Bearing Checking Rates
|Minimum Daily Balance to Earn APY*||Interest Rate||APY|
|Tier 2 ($500.00 and above)||0.01%||0.01%|
|Tier 1 ($0.01-$499.99)||0.01%||0.01%|
Interest rates and Annual Percentage Yields (APYs) are accurate as of Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Rate variable and subject to change after the account is opened. Fees could reduce earnings. $.01 minimum deposit to open account.
*Some balances may be too low to be credited for interest if the interest rate is also low. We will credit interest earned equal to or greater than $0.01 during a statement cycle at the end of a cycle. For example, with a rate of 0.01%, a $100 daily balance would earn less than $0.01 by the end of the statement cycle resulting in no interest credited to the account.
ATM use worldwide
Use the Kennebunk Savings ATM or Mastercard® debit card anytime at ATMs worldwide* with Microchip technology and other Fraud Services keep your card and identity safe. We will reimburse the first $10.00 in fees incurred at non-Kennebunk Savings ATMs per statement cycle, that’s up to $120.00 annually. If something happens, we replace debit cards instantly at many branch locations, so you don’t have to wait for a new one.
Send and receive money through Zelle®
Whether it’s saving you a trip to the ATM or taking out the guesswork of divvying up the cost of the lunch tab, Zelle® is a fast, safe and easy way to send and request money with friends, family and others you trust6. Money is sent directly to the recipient’s account and is typically available in minutes7, and all you need to send money is the recipient’s email address or U.S. mobile phone number.
Account controls and real-time alerts and notifications
Set up online and mobile access* for your checking account and you can access convenient controls and alerts anytime:
- Turn your debit card off (and back on) if you know you won’t be using it.
- Set customized purchase controls and spending limits.
- Restrict purchases at specific merchant types (such as gas, groceries, or retail stores) or geographic areas.
- Gain total transparency into every transaction with clear merchant names.
- Contact merchants directly based on transactions and more!
- Receive alerts in real-time.
- Choose to receive alerts via text, email, within your bank inbox, or via push notifications.
- Set your account to send alerts for withdrawals, purchases, and more.
Check out our personal banking videos.
Personal Checking FAQs
Are there any locational restrictions for deposit accounts?
Yes, checking and savings products customers must live or work in Cumberland or York Counties, Maine, or Rockingham or Strafford Counties, New Hampshire.
What kind of fraud protection does a Kennebunk Savings checking account have?
When you get a debit card with your account, you can set up fraud alerts. This free service will send you a text notification when there’s suspicious activity on your card, and you have 15 minutes to respond. If we don’t hear from you, we’ll call you to follow up. Please make sure we have your current cell phone number.
Other fraud services include:
- Monitoring debit card activity round-the-clock, 24/7
- Stop debit card transaction if suspicious and potentially place a temporary hold on further debit card transactions (until we hear from you)
- Puts a “hold” on your debit card transaction, if suspicious
- You can learn more about our fraud services here.
Can I link my online checking account to digital wallet?
Yes, you can link your account to Apple Pay®, Google Pay™ and Samsung Pay™, too. Once linked, you can use your smart device to pay for purchases by tapping a button and holding your device over the contactless payment terminal. It’s a smart way to safeguard your payments, and rest easy knowing this method has the same fraud protection as physically using your debit card in stores.
What kind of overdraft protection does the Kennebunk Savings checking account have?
If you find you’ve overdrawn your account, we offer several options. You can find important details here regarding fees, types of transactions that may be covered, when an overdraft may not be paid and repayment of overdrafts. Here’s a quick summary:
Smart Overdraft Transfer
Use your own money first and link one of your other Kennebunk Savings deposit accounts to your checking account to cover your overdraft with a funds transfer if there are sufficient funds in your linked account. There is no fee for this service.
Smart Overdraft Advance
Apply for a line of credit that, if approved, will automatically make a credit advance directly to your checking account up to your Smart Overdraft Advance limit. No credit advance fee. Interest is charged on the outstanding balance.
Smart Overdraft Assist
At our discretion, we will strive to pay any overdrafts for checks, recurring point of sale (POS) debit card transactions, and Automated Clearing House (ACH) debits which may be presented against your account instead of returning the transactions unpaid. An Overdraft Fee of $35 may be charged for each overdraft transaction greater than $5. See the Service Pricing Schedule (schedule of fees) for maximum number of fees, per item threshold, and balance threshold.
We will decline one-time POS debit card transactions and ATM withdrawals if you do not have sufficient funds in your account.
To learn more about these services please visit your local branch or call our Customer Care Team at 800-339-6573.
1) Free transactions at Kennebunk Savings ATMs for interest-bearing and Breakaway Checking accounts. With Breakaway Checking, up to $10.00 in surcharge fees incurred at ATMs not owned by Kennebunk Savings will be reimbursed per monthly statement cycle, that’s up to $120.00 annually. 2) Online and mobile banking terms and conditions will apply; Messaging and data rates may apply. 3) An automatic transfer to a checking account from an eligible linked deposit account to cover overdrafts. To enroll, call Customer Care at 1-800-339-6573 or visit your local branch. Other terms and conditions may apply. 4) A Service Charge of $7.00 will be imposed every monthly statement cycle if the balance in the account falls below $500.00 any day of the month. 5) The first debit card is free. If card is lost or damaged, there is a replacement fee for $10.00. 6) Transactions typically occur in minutes when the recipient’s email address or U.S. mobile number is already enrolled with Zelle. 7) Must have a bank account in the U.S. to use Zelle.
If you have a dispute with your financial institution or credit union regarding your account, you may contact the financial institution or credit union and attempt to resolve the problem directly. If the financial institution or credit union fails to resolve the problem, communicate the problem and the resolution you are seeking to:
Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions
36 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0036
To file a complaint electronically, you may contact the Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions at the following Internet address:
When your complaint involves a federally-chartered financial institution or credit union, the Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions will refer it to the appropriate federal supervisory agency.